The items in the special collections in our libraries are of antiquarian value, examples of fine printing or regarded as classics. Many of these collections are held in humidity controlled locations and access to them is restricted.
Brief catalogue records are available and can be searched at: http://primo.aber.ac.uk/. The production of full catalogue records for rare book collections is ongoing. When you have located an item you wish to consult in the Library, submit a request online.
Rare books can only be viewed between 9.00 – 16.30 Monday - Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). Please allow 24 hours from the time of your request before calling at the Enquiry Desk. Visitors will be required to fill in an application form upon arrival.
- Please use pencil only to make notes (Ink, correction fluid and pens are not allowed to be used near the material).
- Ensure hands are clean and try not to touch or handle the pages more than necessary as acids and oils in the skin can damage paper.
- Gloves do not need to be worn.
- A book pillow is available for supporting fragile, large or tightly bound items.
- Bindings should be opened as little as possible and please always support the spine.
- Eating and drinking is not permitted when consulting rare books.
- Any requests for copies must be made to Customer Services staff, and carried out by Media and Sales.
- There will be a charge for copying from rare books.